908.333.4646 x 102
Dr. Sean Hiscox specializes in forensic psychology and is a managing partner at Somerset Psychological Group. He conducts forensic evaluations, provides testimony, and is a consultant in a range of criminal areas for juveniles and adults. His areas of expertise include sex offender assessment and treatment, criminal risk assessment, competency to proceed and waive Miranda rights, waiver to criminal court, and parental fitness and bonding assessments. In civil areas, he performs personal injury evaluations.
Dr. Hiscox is a Past-President of the New Jersey Chapter of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (NJ-ATSA). He also served as a board member for many years. Dr. Hiscox, along with Dr. Witt, helped develop the JRAS, which is the standard evaluation method to place juveniles in risk tiers in accord with Megan’s Law. Prior to joining SPG, Dr. Hiscox was a managing partner at Associates in Psychological Services, P.A., where he worked for 15 years.
Dr. Hiscox also has a general psychotherapy practice. Areas of interest include adolescents and young adults, anxiety and mood disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anger management problems, impulse control problems, and sexual behavior problems. He also provides supervision for psychologists working toward state licensure.
- 10/14 - present: Private Practice, Somerset Psychological Group, PA.
- 12/99 - 9/14: Private Practice, Associates in Psychological Services
- 9/98 - 12/98; 12/99 - 12/00: Staff Psychologist, IEP Youth Services
- 12/98 - 1/00: Director of Clinical Services, Pinelands Residential Group Center
- 9/97 - 8/98: Psychology Intern, Children's Village
- 8/96 - 9/97: Group Therapist, Santa Anita Family Service
- 6/95 - 6/96: Learning Disabilities Specialist, Glendale Community College
- 3/92 - 8/95: Behavioral Consultant, Behavior Therapy & Learning Center
- Ph.D. - California School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles Clinical Psychology, July 1999 (APA approved)
- M.A. - California School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles Clinical Psychology, 1996
- B.A. - California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Psychology, Cum Laude, 1993
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS & LICENSES
- New Jersey Licensed Psychologist (#3963)
- Paolillo, N., Witt, P.H., & Hiscox, S.P. (2019). Assessment Protocols for Family Reunification After Sibling Incest. Sex Offender Law Report, 20, (5).
- Witt, P.H., Hiscox, S.P. & Frank, M. (2019). Structured Professional Judgement: A Contrarian Approach. Sex Offender Law Report, 20, (2).
- Witt, P.H., Nettl, P. & Hiscox, S.P. (2018). Release from Megan's Law: Legal and Clinical Considerations. Sex Offender Law Report, 19, (5).
- DeNigris, P.N. & Hiscox, S. (Spring 2016). Psychological and bonding evaluations in parental rights cases: One approach for structuring conclusions. New Jersey Psychologist.
- Bosley, J.T. & Hiscox, S.P. (2014). Documenting Treatment for Sexually Abusive Youth. In D.S. Bromberg & W.T. O’Donohue (Eds.) (pp. 449-477). Toolkit for Working with Juvenile Sex Offenders. Waltham, MA: Academic Press.
- Witt, P.H., Prentky, R.A., Furlong, J.S., Reynolds, J.R., & Hiscox, S.P. (2014).
Assessing Sex Offense Risk in Adults Whose Offenses Occurred as Juveniles, Sex
Offender Law Report, 15, (3), 33-40(8).
- Witt, P.H., Greenfield, D.P., & Hiscox, S.P. (2008). Cognitive/behavioral approaches to the treatment of adult sex offenders. Journal of Psychiatry and Law, 36, 245-269.
- Hiscox, S. P., Witt, P.H., & Haran, S.J. (2007). Juvenile Risk Assessment Scale (JRAS): A Predictive Validity Study. Journal of Psychiatry and Law, 35, 503-539.
- Witt, P. H., Bosley, J. T., & Hiscox, S. P. (2002). Evaluation of juvenile sex offenders. Journal of Psychiatry and Law, 30, 569-592.
- New Jersey Psychological Association
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
- New Jersey Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
- - Board member 2015 - present
- - Past-President (2009-10)
- - President (2007-09)
- - Board member (2000-06)